Monday, February 25, 2013

Monday 4 Moms - Showing Compassion

Compassion's Water of Life

When I need to brush my teeth - I walk on over to my sink, turn a knob and don't think twice as the basin begins to fill with water. I don't even consider it as I splash water on my face - or sink down into a tub of hot water for yet another bath. 

The dangers of drinking dirty water are many, and are serious - yet I don't give it the time of day. Do you? 

It isn't that way for everyone. According to Compassion: 

It’s hard to imagine water being dangerous. But for thousands of children in the community of Gomoa Kweikrom, drinking contaminated water from open wells caused illness, disease and often death. And that’s when there was water. During droughts, the wells and nearby ponds would dry up, taking away even unclean water.


The child development centers in Gomoa Kweikrom applied for a grant from Compassion to provide filters to 2,320 families. In addition to the filters, the centers sought to educate families on hygiene—through a series of classes and workshops they taught families personal hygiene, cholera prevention, water pollution and proper use of their new filters.
Just two months after families began using the Compassion Water of Life filters, centers were already reporting amazing results. Water-borne diseases, including diarrhea and scabies, were nearly eradicated. Families no longer had to buy clean water and could afford food for their families. At one center, 85% of children were now able to bring fresh water to school instead of drinking the polluted water offered there.
Today, 2,320 families in Ghana benefit from renewed health because of Compassion Water of Life. Children who have never known clean water, water without risk of illness, can finally have fresh, pure, life-giving refreshment.

I don't know about you, but that kind of information has a tendency to put a different spin on things for me. It reminds me to stop and appreciate the fact that I have clean water. It helps me remember to be content and to be grateful for the blessings I have in my home and family. 

Psalm 82:3 
"Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed."

If you have been blessed recently and want to reach out to make a difference in the world, you can find immediate satisfaction by donating to Compassion International's Meeting Critical Needs program here

parasites-150x150.jpg   emergency-feeding-150x150.jpg   HIV-test-150x150.jpg

Meet needs from the Gift Catalog for as little as $4 
Or Sponsor a Child today and begin to transform their life! 

I'm thankful for the opportunity to take part in supporting such a wonderful cause. I'm grateful for the clean water that comes out of the faucet when I turn it on each day. 
Compassion provides information, in the form of a study guide, to aid you in teaching the ideal of caring for others around the globe to your children here: 

#1000 Gifts and counting: 
clean water, hot water, teaching these things to my boys, seeing their compassion grow, opportunity to serve

If you need encouragement in your marriage this week - see this new series:

Promoting:



No comments: