Monday, January 17, 2011

Around the World- Homeschool Geography

The Eiffel Tower in Legos!
We are taking a "journey" around the world. Last week we started with Paris, France. The focus is not on Paris alone- but the country of France as a whole- but what better icon is there for a french study?
We are learning a bit about the history of France & how it relates to our own country.
One of our favorite resources is National Geographic Kids at http://kids.nationalgeographic.com/  where you can explore their "Countries of the World" study.


One of our favorite ways to go about these types of studies is to start a new 3 ring binder! We can add mini lapbooks to the binder, and art work or pictures of our work (like the lego eiffel tower).
Any way you cut it- by doing the study this way - the boys really remember what they've learned & have  a good time doing it!

5 comments:

Dr. Mom Online said...

Love it!! : )

Unknown said...

I'd like to do a country family night we're maybe twice a month we would learn about a country, eat/cook their food, learn their music, sports, animals, and all around culture!

Thanks for turning on my reinvention lightbulb!

Ida

Anonymous said...

Thank you for kind comment on my blog. :-)
Nan

Unknown said...

Thankyou Dr Mom, Ida, and Nan- I think Ida's idea to do a family dinner night featuring a different country is a terrific idea!

Java, I'm really not sure what that is all about- I haven't ever been to your blog & the only "meet me on monday" I signed up with on a fellow homeschool blog didn't have any further instructions that I could see other than the couple of questions that came up when entering my info. - sorry to trouble you!

Unknown said...

Java- funny, i checked out your blog to see what i had missed & i think that one of my homeschool peeps had the link on their page w/ no questions- funny thing is i read the questions on someone else's blog & wondered what in the world they were talking about! NOW i know- i'll have to try again some other time- LOL- tks, kelli