Friday, September 16, 2011

Our Life This Week

The Homeschool Mother's JournalIn my life this week…  So happy to have
my oldest home from Alaska! He had a
wonderful adventure with my parents that
he will cherish for a life time.
He impressed them with his knowledge of the
places they visited and surprised them
 (and their tour guide) with local tales of early
pioneers. (we love homeschool) Although I don't
 often worry about what others think or with trying to "impress" - it's always fun to impress the grandparents :)

Speaking of grandparents- sadly, my grandfather passed away on Monday-
he was buried in a military funeral with honors for his service. You can
read about some of his experience in WWII here if you'd like. As difficult
as it is to let go of him, I know that he is with our Lord and Savior and
that he is no longer in pain- there is an ache in my heart knowing
he's no longer here, but also joy knowing  he was ready to go "home"
In our homeschool this week… Despite our loss this week, we have
stayed on track (mostly) with school. I think staying busy with the boys
was a big help to me. I look forward to sharing his stories and using his
WWII maps in our history and geography lessons. *His regiment marched
through France and into the heart of Germany (read here if you like)

We are finishing up our study on China- it's been a bit drawn out, but
we've covered a lot of ground! (good food and fun art too!)
We found a couple of great links for online "tanagram" games - you can
try them out here and also here if you want to give it a go! It's Fun- 
  
Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share… explore and have fun!
If you are interested in something and excited - it's very likely that your
children will get caught up in the excitement and next thing you know-
you'll all be learning and having fun at the same time.

 God made us in
His image - which means (among other things) that we are creative beings-
you can use that creativity in all aspects of your homeschool to really bring
the learning experience to life for your family. If you're just not "feeling"
creative- ask God to help you- after all, it was His idea in the first place!

It doesn't have to be complicated. For example: my husband brought home
a scorpion last week. (yes, I know- ick) I don't like the thing - but, the boys
sure do! So, I immediately decided to use it for school- I researched the
critter (turns out they are actually pretty cool) but instead of just reading
facts to the kids or just doing a worksheet - we got out the "science
journals" and drew and labeled him.

Then they rolled out some clay and
measured it (safer than measuring "Larry") - then we cut the clay in 1/2
and measured it- and again, (fractions) until we had about 8 pieces- which
we used to do some adding and subtracting. We even made it into a race-
and for the first time ever I got to hear the words "Mommy, can we do
some more math please?" 

I am inspired by… just gotta say it- Pinterest!  (loving it! If you need
an invitation- just let me know)
Places we’re going and people we’re seeing… We are staying put
finally for awhile! We had a lovely book club meeting for the kids
this week and I thoroughly enjoyed the adult convo!

(It's a very serious group)
Each of the kids get to stand up and share what they've
been reading- Love it!

My favorite thing this week was… fresh homemade bread from
a friend- it was so thoughtful of them to bring me "comfort" food -
makes me smile just thinking about it.

 (And #1 Fave- see "I'm praying for" below)
Things I’m working on… getting more organized!  It involved painting
this dining cabinet and hutch for our homeschool - making me HA-ppy!






I’m reading… "Down We Go" living into the wild ways of Jesus
by Kathy Escobar - Learn more about this precious, smart woman here!
(I'll be doing a full review and giveaway soon)
I’m cooking… homemade pizza and fresh bread!
I’m grateful for… family. Plain and simple. This week my
focus has been with loved ones- near and far, perfect and not so
perfect- I love my family! I'm also grateful for sweet friends who care
about our loss- thank you sincerely!
I’m praying for… My children and family- boy #2 accepted Christ
this past Friday (such an awesome experience!) and then the "Patriarch"
of our family went home to be with the Lord- (much emotion this week)
A photo, video, link, or quote to share…  Have you read
"The Hunger Games"? I have been sharing this with my oldest
son- it's a bit much for younger ones. It's a great opportunity to
discuss with him why we believe what we do about our freedoms-
and how others throughout history have been affected when their
freedoms were taken- I highly recommend it for anyone ages 10+
(as long as you have a fairly mature 10 year old) There isn't any
inappropriate material- but it could disturb younger ones and/or
they simply wouldn't understand.

For us, it has opened up some terrific dialogue and provided
the opportunity for me to get a good look at the way he perceives
the world around him. (fascinating)






 
Great Deals for the Outdoor Family:
Free Shipping included-

Others You Might Be Interested In:

10 comments:

MJ said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather Kelli. I hope he had a full and an amazing life :). A funeral with full military honors is a special one, my dad had one too and is now at peace in Arlington :).

On another note, I always love coming to your space and seeing all the amazing things you have done with your family. You must know you are an amazing homeschooling mama and inspire me to do better all the time :).
Yay for pinterest, we'll have to find each on there!
Have a great weekend Kelli!

Jill said...

You are the BEST Mom. If anyone came here with a scorpion I would bansish them! ha!

I really enjoyed The Hunger Games. How right you are about the dialogues it can open.

Unknown said...

Thank you both ladies. Yes MJ he did have a full and simple yet amazing life. I have such wonderful memories on the farm with him as a child!

And Jill, yes- we can thank my hubby for the scorpions!

Vicky said...

I'm so sorry to hear of the passing of your grandfather. But am also glad to hear you eldest made it home safe! I admire you for homeschooling... I can't even entertain the idea :) Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog, I relate so well to what you wrote and those of us with chronic conditions have to stick together for sure!

Little Badgers Academy said...

Isn't it great when everyone is finally home? We had our youngest boy back from vacation with grandparents. I missed him so much! And I can relate to impressing grandparents,it's totally different!
I am sorry to hear about your grandfather. Hope you will find peace in knowing he is at "home" now.

Amy said...

I am so sorry about your grandfather!

I read The Hunger Games and really enjoyed it. I think it would be a fun book to read as my kids get older too!

Amy @ Missional Mama

Jenny said...

It was neat to read about your grandfather because my 91 year old grandfather had similar experiences in WWII. I'm sorry about your loss, as I know my heart will feel heavy when my grandpa leaves us.

Homemade bread would be a nice thing to receive from a friend. I am feelin' so left out of the Pinterest thing. It's all the rave lately, and I just haven't had a chance to get on there yet. But I will!

Shawntele said...

Love reading these weekly homeschooling recaps!

Sorry to hear about your grandfather.:(

Promise Christian Academy said...

So sorry for your loss. Our dear neighbors became like grandparents to our children and we lost them both last year.. Each had a rich life's history they shared with us. He served in WWII and Korea, she had 5 brothers serve in WWII.
The furniture re-do is fabulous! Great job!
We don't have scorpions around here, and a friend is sending on from Mexico for the children to study!

Unknown said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your grandfather! Thank you for stopping by my blog and your encouragement on finishing the 90 Days! We can do it!