Monday, March 12, 2012

Kids in the Kitchen - Key Lime Pie - 5th Link Up

My friend Carrie from Young Living Oils Lady  and I,  are hosting this fun linky each Tuesday. I'm so glad you've joined us - Please feel free to link up any family friendly recipe - or tips and tricks for cooking with children. We especially like to see those Kids in the Kitchen, but those pics are not necessary for the link up - Our main goal for this link up -is to bring families back to the table again. We encourage you to get in the kitchen together as a family and enjoy special time creating good food to feed both body and soul. 

Cooking 101: 

I'm sharing a few tricks along the way to show you how I incorporate kitchen time 
into our homeschool curriculum. One of the things we do is gather recipes. 


While the boys look through family friendly and recipe magazines - I take the opportunity
 to talk with them about meal planning. We discuss budgeting, party planning, nutrition and more. We put their findings in a 3 ring binder - they've even decorated the front with something yummy


They cut out and paste their findings into the binder - good motor skill practice for the 
younger ones, along with some reading and organization skills for the older ones. 


Key Lime Pie Recipe:





Ingredients:
juice 3-4 limes for 1 cup of lime juice
(more if using real key limes- they are more expensive so we
just went with the regular limes)
3 egg yolks- room temp.
2 tsp zest from the lime
1 can condensed sweet milk (14 oz)

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
Beat egg yolks until light and fluffy then
slowly add in the condensed milk, zest, and lime juice (while beating)
When mixture is light and fluffy again- pour into pie crust (graham cracker-
we dotted ours with butter before adding mixture)
Bake for @15 minutes (until mixture if firm when lightly shaken- it shouldn't 'jiggle')
Cool on counter - then move to fridge for at least an hour or two (or overnight if you can wait)

Prepare whipped topping:
Beat heavy whipping cream in bowl with 1/2  cup powdered sugar until firm and chill
(we added ours to icing bag with star tip and decorated one star at a time)


Zesting the lime

Mixing the ingredients 


Pouring into the pie shell 

Enjoying the Pie


Please link up your family friendly recipes! 
Grab our button below or from my side bar for the code 
If you don't already follow us on facebook - please do

(It's always good linky etiquette to comment on at least one or two posts from others)

We thank you and hope you enjoy your family time in the kitchen this week



Linking With: 

  



11 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh my...that looks divine!

MomLaur said...

My mouth is watering! I love key lime pie!

Amy S said...

YUMMY! :)

Anonymous said...

That pie looks amazing!!

Unknown said...

Key Lime...Yumminess! (Looking away! LOL)

Carrie said...

I love Key Lime Pie. I've never made a pie before - keeping my fingers crossed that I can do this one successfully!

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy! You are inspiring me to get my kids in the kitchen more--I am just not good at taking pictures when we are cooking--I need to get better at that so I can post more "authentic" KIDS posts ;-)

Hope you are having a good day!

Lisa Boyle said...

That looks so good! What a great idea for St. Patty's day! I love how you get the kids to decorate the binder. What an awesome idea! I think I'm going to "borrow" it. :-)

Happy Whimsical Hearts said...

Yum, I've never tried key lime pie ~ might have to add it to the ever growing list!

Unknown said...

Looks yummy, and what fun your kids seem to be having as they help. I home school too, and love using everyday activities as teaching tools. My daughter loves it, and has all her friends jealous that she has *gasp* FUN leaning.

Julie@teachinggoodeaters said...

I love that you incorporated meal planning with the kids- This is such a great link-up--- cooking with kids is such a great way to encourage good eating. My kids are always so much more enthusiastic about eating something that they helped cook. They also like to "sample" the ingredients while the cook... this week they were all eating shredded zucchini like it was a special treat! :)