Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Family Connections - Summer 2012 - Nature Connections


Nature Connections


We spend a lot of time in the great outdoors. We love our wilderness camping and hiking. The boys have their own kayaks. My husband makes his living out on the water as a professional fishing guide. The boys are familiar with world class fishing. We live by the beach, so there is snorkeling and riding waves. We love the outdoors and these exciting activities - but we can get just as excited about a mother and a baby quail slipping into the yard for an afternoon meal. 



My oldest son first realized we had visitors and quickly caught my attention with the excitement in his voice. We quietly moved out onto the porch and tiptoed closer to get a better look - and to try to capture a picture.
We watched from the porch as the mama quail ushered her two babies through the yard. They darted around in the grass - nibbling and ducking while they chirped messages to each other. 

I love that in a family of outdoor adventurers - we still love the little things and take time to appreciate God's creation on every level - not just the big exciting experiences. I love that they are learning to see the beauty in weeds God created as well as the finest rare flowers. They get excited over butterflies and lizards as well as 


 Bald Eagles and sea creatures. They enjoy a family walk around the block as well as a trip down the river. 
Don't get me wrong - we won't be giving up our exciting adventures any time soon. But, in between the big adventures - we'll be enjoying the quiet moments with the birds and the bugs - loving God's creation and getting to know the One who designed it all by studying it closely. 

Coming up this weekend - Join us: 

Great American Backyard Campout

Happy 1st Day of Summer! Link Up - Summer Fun 2012

Grab the Summer Fun 2012 button below and link up your family fun posts: 




Find out why today marks the heralded Summer Solstice here

Linking with Aurie Good- Our Good Life  Next week's blog hop theme is Summer Reading!
also linking with MOB Society   Fun Summer

13 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great post!! I love the pictures :) I was thinking of you while we were on Assetique Island last weekend!

Unknown said...

awww - thanks Aurie! I love your post - thanks for linking up

Missional Mama said...

"a family of outdoor adventurers - we still love the little things and take time to appreciate God's creation on every level - not just the big exciting experiences."

What great words! It is something to watch our kids get excited about the small things too. Thanks for your inspiration to stay in nature! and thanks for linking up with the Family Connections Blog Hop.

Amy @ Missional Mama

Jill said...

Your pics are lovely! We love nature studies around here, too!

Thanks for sharing!

Jamie Oliver (@va_grown) said...

I'm always amazed when we actually take time to look around, how many AWESOME things we find right in our own backyard (or neighborhood park). So much variety if you really look...

MomLaur said...

Ahh butterflies..and flowers...and eagles! I wish we had bald eagles here...

Donna said...

Beautiful pictures. The quail chick is adorable. How awesome that you were able to get so close to the butterflies.
Glad I stopped by to visit. Your blog is lovely.

whittenwins said...

Thanks for the visit and sharing in our joy! And for pointing me to this link up! God bless, look forward to reading more!

Tales of Beauty For Ashes said...

I love your ideas, Congrats on getting in the top 25! YAY!

Lora @ my blessed life said...

Dropping by from Blessed Beyond Doubt's blog hop :) Looks like you're having a great summer already!

Audra Silva said...

I'm hoping to plan some fun nature outings for this summer. Love the photos. :)

Mynn xx said...

What a wonderful family past time! My DH loves the outdoors, but I cannot be outside in KS in the summer--the weather is awful! I do enjoy my time in Utah. I can enjoy all of God's outdoor creations better when the weather is better! ;)

Christy said...

Thanks for linking up, Kelli!

We recently moved to a home with more land and my kids are loving all of the bugs, birds, squirrels, etc!