Saturday, October 13, 2012

31 days of Homeschool Encouragement - It's not about me

Throughout the month of October - I'm joining The Nester  and some 1200 bloggers to bring you the 31 days of . . . series. It made sense for me to write about  31 days of Homeschool Encouragement. 

I'm sharing encouragement for the homeschool mom (which often applies to any mom) on topics from keeping up with the house to dealing with less than cooperative children.

You can read a bit about how we spend our homeschool days here.
Read on the topic of bad days here, and the Top 10 Ways to change the atmosphere in your homeschool here.


I hope you are enjoying your weekend with your family!
 Something for you to ponder this weekend as you go about your day and prepare for the week ahead;

The most important  thing for us to remember, especially on those bad days, is that we are not preparing our children for this world - we are preparing them for eternity.

Yeah, that doesn't exactly lighten the load.

 But, it should remind you not to look at things from the perspective that your children aren't "minding you" or aren't "co-operating with you" - that may be the truth. But, more importantly, they are in the process of learning to follow Jesus. They are learning to obey God. They are learning to be the person He wants them to be so that they may accomplish that which He has for them to accomplish.


It isn't you they are struggling with so much, as it is the Almighty. This is not by any means a message to crack the whip - on the contrary - it is a message to put things in perspective. Don't take their behavior personally. Realize that you are to love them through this process. Fighting them through will not likely bring them closer to the Lord.

As I type those words, I have moments in my head. Shameful moments, where I know that my concerns with my children were (sometimes are) of my own volition. How dare they not listen to me? I am their mother!

But, it isn't about me. It's about HIM! Yes, I want my children to be respectful, and certainly don't advocate letting them run wild. I'm a fairly strict parent. But, by keeping my focus where it needs to be - remembering that we do not wrestle flesh and blood but principalities unseen -  I can remember that they are also wrestling. They have their own spiritual battle to fight. My job is to prepare them to put on the armor.

(more about that tomorrow)




Please let me know if you find these reminders and information useful or if there is something else you are looking for. I am happy to share what God has led us through (some pretty big challenges) and how He continues to carry us through each day.


No comments: