Thursday, February 28, 2013

Frugal Family -


In an effort to save money this year,  I'm joining my friends Marcy +Ben and Me  as well as Sam +Sam's Noggin  to bring you this weekly  link up full of tips for becoming a more Frugal Family. We will be sharing ideas to help you save money on groceries and meals, homeschool, crafts, and plenty of frugal DIY posts. We've made many sacrifices so that I can stay at home to teach the boys, and I've become pretty frugal in order to help make that possible and to keep it that way. It's become a challenge I truly enjoy, and one I enjoy sharing with you!

This week:

Getting rid of cable and/or satellite TV



I thought it was a rather crazy idea at first. How can a family of 5 live without TV service in this modern day and age? What about news service and the weather? Cartoons for the boys? 
My husband makes a living on the water as a Pro Fishing Guide - so the weather is kind of a big deal. 

Our answer: less than $8 a month for Netflix 

There are loads of educational and family friendly programs available - it cuts down on unnecessary TV time (You know - where you just leave the TV on so that it will be on?) We are now intentional about our TV time, the boys have a couple of favorite shows to watch and we choose programs for school lesson enhancement or family movie night. We get news and weather online and on our phone apps. 

The down side is that there are programs and categories I don't want my children scrolling through. I have to be intentional about choosing programs for them and don't allow them to take over the remote. Which, really is the same for any television programs or flipping through channels - right? Too much TV is not a good thing anyways. 

We are happy with it and haven't missed out on a thing! Do you have tips to share? 


Link up your own tips for saving money on our Frugal Family link up for February
Please grab the button to use or link via text - Visit others to encourage each other and
share great information! The group Pinterest board is here - I'm pinning away!



AdventurezInChildRearing
 





No comments: