Friday, September 7, 2012

Our homeschool week - frigate birds



In my life this week…



"B" is for boating! 
Blue skies, frigate Birds and Being in love-
I got to spend 2 different days out on the water with my family- they weren't full days but
even spending a few hours does me a world of good as did celebrating our anniversary.

(gotta love all the "hurry up mom" looks -
I couldn't see when I took the shot from the glare of the sun- but this is all I got)

In our homeschool this week…



We've been inspired by frogs this week. The boys have been busy exploring and  catching them - they love and adore them - so I figured - why fight it? I made homemade flash cards to learn the "og" blend -we read a frog book to go with it. Their hands on learning involved using the flash cards and catching the frogs. 

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…

We love using nature as the backdrop of our studies. I can always find Bible verses to go along with our study. This week, along with our regular studies from Apologia and Geography Matters - we learned about frogs, manatee, and frigate birds. 

Nature was our favorite homeschool resource this week! 

My favorite thing this week was…


We got up close and personal with a Magnificent Frigate Bird  a.k.a. "Man 'O War" - these birds only come in to roost during mating season and in cases of really big storms. The one in the bottom left corner is a male. You can just make out the red on his throat. There are current studies going on as scientists are trying to learn more about how much these birds sleep. They sleep while in flight across the water. There are so many interesting facts about the frigate - I'll be putting together a full Unit Study soon. 

I’m reading…

Bible - 7 Tools book (see my side bar) - ready to begin GMG's new study. 

I’m cooking…
 
These were easy "steak roll ups" we shared on our Kids in the Kitchen link up this week. 

I’m grateful for…



We celebrated our 12 year wedding anniversary - I'm so grateful for this man and for God's faithfulness. 
You can read more about that story - here. 

Freebies …
I will put together a full unit study on Frigate birds- in the mean time - you are welcome to use my picture above for your personal homeschool. There is a link provided with additional information on these incredible animals. They are one of the most interesting species of birds I've come across. 

Jeremiah 29:11 Cursive handwriting sheet 



Linking with - Holy Spirit Led Homeschool , The Imagination Tree , Creative Family Fun , Read.Explore.Learn.
Sun Scholars  , Camera Phone Friday, Favorite Resources this Week, Homeschool Freebie Fridays, Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers  ABC blogging, Collage Friday, Educating Laytons ihomeschoolnetwork Mommy Teaches   homeschool fridays

1 comment:

k balman said...

Cool info about Frigate. Any chance you can get that unit study done by the end of the month, lol : ). We will probably do shore birds the last week of September. We are having lots of fun with our bird unit study.