Sunday, October 7, 2012

31 days of HsEncouragement - Soul


As homeschool Moms - we are "on" pretty much 24/7.

 If we aren't staying on top of our own health - things can go from bad to worse quickly.

 Along with healthy eating and exercise - we must care for our spiritual well-being.

 Actually, most importantly, we must care for our spiritual well-being. 




Many go to church each week. We go, we sing, we listen, learn and fellowship. It's a good thing to gather in the house of God and to fellowship with one another. It is good to feed our Spirit as we listen to God's Word being preached from the pulpit. 

But, there is more. There is so much more for those who will choose to spend time with Him daily. To truly walk with Jesus, means more than showing up for church. It is more than prayers before eating, and before bed at night. Those are all good things, but there is more. 


Staying in God's Word will light our path and show us the way 

I Thessalonians 5:17 tells us to "Pray without ceasing" 

We are to go about the course of our day - in prayer! It's important (always) to look at the surrounding scriptures in any text. I find it interesting that in Thessalonians 5:16 we find 
"Rejoice evermore"  and then 
"Pray without ceasing" followed by verse 18 which says
"In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus" 

So, our instructions are clear. Be joyful. How? By praying without ceasing. About what? Thank Him. Thank Him for everything. EVERYTHING. 


My son just threw himself in the floor because he doesn't want to do his work. . . . 
"Thank You Jesus" 
I have no idea how we are supposed to pay these bills, and we're already behind. . . 
"Glory be to God" 
I don't feel well today and I'm having trouble getting going . . . . 
"Praise the Lord" 


Crazy talk you say? I don't think so. Crazy like a fox, maybe. 

"Thank you Jesus" when my son is pitching a fit because he is strong and healthy and able to do so. Someday God will use him for great and mighty things. 
"Glory be to God" although I cannot pay these bills because we have food to eat and clean water to drink. He is faithful to provide all our needs. 
"Praise the Lord" even though my body hurts because I could be in a country without access to much needed medical care and medicine. As long as there is breath in me, I will praise the name of Jesus! 

What a difference perspective makes. Entire attitudes changes when you change focus.


You would run me out of town - tar and feather me for hypocrisy - if you caught me on the wrong day. I do not write these things because I have it all perfected or because when my children are bickering . . . again . . . I throw my hands up and say "hallelujah" but because - I should.

 One thing I can tell you for sure is that upon the occasion when I do manage to do things the right way - God is glorified in my home. When I do look up instead of laying in - something wonderful happens. The enemy is defeated. It also has a strange and wonderful affect on my children. Surely does get their attention - better than any old lecture would for certain. Perspective changes, and attitudes change. 

I want to encourage you to begin each day in the Word and in prayer. There is no better thing for any parent to do - and for the homeschool Mama who spends all day with her children - it's impact means that much more. 


Please let me know if you find these reminders and information useful or if there is something else you are looking for. I am happy to share what God has led us through (some pretty big challenges) and how He continues to carry us through each day.

linking with: 

No comments: