Monday, October 15, 2012

Kids in the Kitchen - 31 days of Homeschool Encouragement - inspiration via the taste buds!




I've mentioned a time or two that one of my goals in homeschooling our kids is to inspire a love for learning in them. I like to see them fired up about what we are studying. I love for them to be excited to dig deeper and learn more.

One of the ways we inspire them is by enjoying time together in the kitchen. By incorporating homeschool into our family meals - and visa versa - we are adding another element of inspiration and one that offers skills they will carry with them throughout their lifetime.

They simply think it's fun!



This past week in our family homeschool - we traveled to France (virtually - that is). After the boys stamped their pretend passports :

Gotta love those cheesy "not another picture. . . " smiles! 

 They found France on the map - added it to their own maps - and we read about the country from several of our homeschool books - and then we headed to the kitchen.

We used our book from GeoMatters by Jamie Aramini called "Eat Your Way Around the World" 
to come up with recipes from France and learn a little about French food. We made a yummy pot of French Onion Soup - which was a big hit for the whole family & we used up some leftovers in the process!

Our soup was a little different. I had no beef broth - so we used our left over steak from fajitas to make some and left the beef in our soup for good measure. Technically- I suppose it was actually:

French Beef and Onion soup: 



What we did: 
     We filled a large pot with water and added our leftover steak to boil. The steak was already cooked,
      flavored with taco seasoning. We also added 2 tablespoons of coconut oil because it's good for you. 

We added about a tablespoon of garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste. After chopping an onion - we added that to the soup as well. That is all. It was very simple - we slow cooked it for over an hour and everyone loved it. The recipe in the book is a bit different - it's probably better - but we worked with what we had on hand (another good lesson for the boys).

We use as many organic ingredients as possible. I'm teaching the boys about nutrition at the same time. 

Last week - I shared some more ways to use the kitchen in your homeschool and a recipe for baked apples. You can read more about that here.

Please let me know if you find these reminders and information useful or if there is something else you are looking for. I am happy to share what God has led us through (some pretty big challenges) and how He continues to carry us through each day.





Link Up: 
I hope you'll join us by linking up a family recipe. I partner with my friend Carrie@ YoungLivingOilLady each week to bring you the Kids in the Kitchen link up. You are not required to homeschool - or to even show kids in the photo's of the recipe link up - Please link back to me,
and leave a comment, it is customary to visit at least one or two others who are participating.
 Feel free to Pin -I cannot always make it to every page but I try.
 I'm pinning and sharing your recipes! 

Grab the button below or from the code on my side bar (text links are also fine): 








No comments: