Thursday, April 18, 2013

Frugal Family - Easy Handmade Pillow Covers



In an effort to save money this year,  I'm joining my friends Marcy +Ben and Me  as well as Sam +Sam's Noggin  to bring you this weekly  link up full of tips for becoming a more Frugal Family. We will be sharing ideas to help you save money on groceries and meals, homeschool, crafts, and plenty of frugal DIY posts. We've made many sacrifices so that I can stay at home to teach the boys, and I've become pretty frugal in order to help make that possible and to keep it that way. It's become a challenge I truly enjoy, and one I enjoy sharing with you!


This week: 
   Easy Pillow Covers for Home Decor 



My pillows were looking tired and I happened to have a roll of this classic pattern on hand. I didn't want to make a permanent cover - I wanted to be able to remove it and change it out seasonally. 

I don't have a working sewing machine - so I used my hot glue gun and a needle and thread to create these simple fresh covers. 

First I measured a square by using my pillow as a guide. Then I folded the edge over about 3/4 inch and took my time to seal it with the hot glue gun - this was done on 2 ends that will be the back of the pillow cover - left open like an envelope to stuff the pillow into. It wasn't difficult at all. 


The first picture below shows how the 2 glued hem ends come together in the back. I turned them inside out, pulled them to just overlap and pinned in place so I could hand sew a straight line along each side. Once done, I turned it back over and had a nice pocket to squeeze the pillow into.





Using a sturdy fabric turned out nicely. I was extremely happy with my 30 - 45 minute frugal pillow covers! 


Link up your own tips for saving money on our Frugal Family link up for January
Please grab the button to use or link via text - Visit others to encourage each other and
share great information! The group Pinterest board is here - I'm pinning away!



AdventurezInChildRearing
 

No comments: